OUR HISTORY

90 Years and Counting

 

Building commenced on Hillfields Park Housing estate in 1919, and the estate was first to be built under the National Housing Scheme in Bristol. Hillfields was further expanded in 1922 when the new Elisha Smith Robinson paper and printing company opened in Filwood Road, Fishponds, and the company arranged for houses to be built at Maple Avenue to accommodate the new workers.

The area expanded quickly, Hillfields Park Infant School opened in 1927 and the junior school opened in 1929. The most famous pupil to go to the junior school was Arthur Milton, who played County cricket for Gloucestershire County from 1948 to 1974, and gained 6 caps with the England cricket team. He also played football for Arsenal from 1951 to 1955, then Bristol City and gained 1 cap for the England National Football Team against Austria at Wembley.

More recently, the Briarwood School for students with severe learning difficulties from primary to sixth form has been built on Briar Way.

The church in the centre of Hillfields is Hillfields Park Baptist Church, opened on 8 May 1929 and built by Foster & Son,[3] and originally supported by the Fishponds Baptist Church. It also contains a Baptist church Youth Club.

The area is also served by Hillfields Library, run by Bristol City Council, and the Community centre and recreational grounds in Hillfields Park.

© 2019 by Hillfields Park Baptist Church. Proudly created with Wix.com

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon
  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • Google+ Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon